Some types of commercial trucks carry hazardous materials, which can cause serious problems should the truck crash. Spills can lead to more severe injuries and damage and victims should speak with a truck accident attorney.
If you have driven down the interstate, you might have occasionally noticed large commercial trucks that have the letters HAZMAT printed on the side. The term HAZMAT, which stands for hazardous materials, provides notification to the vehicles around the truck, encouraging careful driving due to the dangerous materials that are nearby. Trucks that carry HAZMAT materials are typically operated by experienced, professional drivers. Still, accidents can and do happen. A HAZMAT spill on the road can cause serious injuries.
The Potential Risks of a HAZMAT Crash
An accident that involves a HAZMAT truck can be disastrous on many different levels. From the short term injuries suffered by those in the general area to potential long term impacts of hazardous materials leaking into the ground or water sources, it is difficult to predict the full effect of this type of accident.
A hazardous material that is being transported by a truck will often fall into one of these categories:
- A flammable material
- A toxic material
- A corrosive material
- A highly explosive material
Some of the immediate dangers that are posed by a HAZMAT truck crash include but are not limited to:
- Fire – One of the most common incidents in a HAZMAT crash is a fire. Given that many of the HAZMAT materials that are transported are highly flammable, it is common to see a fire at or near the scene of the accident. These fires can spread quickly, causing serious damage.
- Chemical burns – The truck driver and other people who are close to the site of the accident often suffer chemical burns if they come in contact with the hazardous materials that have spilled.
- Explosions – Some of the hazardous materials that a truck carries could be highly unstable and volatile, which has the potential of leading to a dangerous explosion. Some of these explosions occur immediately on contact, while others might be delayed and unpredictable.
- Poisoning – Breathing in the air or accidentally ingesting poisonous materials that have leaked from the HAZMAT truck can cause serious or even deadly injuries.
- Exposure to radioactive materials – When a HAZMAT truck is transporting radioactive materials, there is a huge risk to everyone nearby in the event of an accidental spill. Radioactive materials can cause harm to people who come in contact with them.
If you have been involved in an accident with a HAZMAT truck, or if you were near a HAZMAT accident that occurred, see a medical professional as soon as possible.
Talk to a Skilled Truck Accident Lawyer Right Away
The event of a truck accident can result in serious injuries to all of those who are involved. If you are dealing with the injury in the aftermath of a truck accident, contact an experienced attorney to learn about your legal options. The team at Blackburn & Green is committed to helping our clients who have been injured in HAZMAT crashes and will fight for your right to just compensation. To schedule a free initial consultation, call us today at 1-800-444-1112 or contact us online. Don’t delay – call us right away!