As more businesses open this year and we spend more time in retail stores, it’s important to remember that slip and fall accidents are a real concern. Property owners and managers who fail to live up to their duty of care greatly increase the risk of slip and falls.
When shopping you’ve got a lot to get done, and likely one of the last things on your mind is your safety at the stores you visit. Unfortunately, not every retail store takes the care necessary to help ensure the safe passage of its shoppers, and dangerous slip and falls are often the result. If a slip and fall at a retail store leaves you injured, seek the professional legal guidance you need from an experienced personal injury attorney today.
Premises Liability Claims
A slip and fall accident that was caused by a property owner’s negligence is a specific kind of personal injury claim that’s known as a premises liability claim. In order to bring a successful premises liability claim, the following elements must be demonstrated:
- The property owner owed you a duty of care. In the case of a store owner or manager, he or she owes you a duty of care that includes keeping the property in reasonably safe repair (reasonable means in alignment with the level of care other reasonable owners of similar properties provide).
- There was a hazard on the property that caused you to slip and fall, and the property owner or manager either knew about it or should have known about it. Failing to address this hazard amounts to a breach of the property owner’s duty of care.
- You were injured in the process of slipping and falling.
- The property owner’s breach of duty was the cause of your injuries.
Slip and fall cases are often complicated, but recovering on your full range of financial, emotional, and physical damages is often critical to a successful healing process.
Slip and falls accidents can be caused by myriad sources, but some of the categories that generally apply include:
- Entryways and aisles made slippery by tracked-in weather
- Aisles made slippery by spills that aren’t tended to
- Overstocked and/or poorly stocked shelves that lead to falling merchandise
- Merchandise, displays, and other objects cluttering aisles and other walkways
- Inadequate lighting that obscures shoppers’ view of any slipping hazards
- Poorly maintained, overly worn, and/or overly slippery floor coverings
- Escalators that are set dangerously fast
- Stairwells that are poorly designed, built, or maintained
Discuss Your Case with an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney Today
Slip and fall accidents are often exceptionally dangerous and avoidable accidents. If a slip and fall at a retail store leaves you injured, the experienced personal injury attorneys at Blackburn & Green are on your side and here to help every step of the way. To learn more, please don’t hesitate to contact us online or call us at 1-800-444-1112 today.